About cookies

The NCETM site uses cookies. Read more about our privacy policy

Please agree to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept them.

Personal Learning Login

Register with the NCETM

Primary Forum

Only logged in users can post to this forum.

Dissertation: Teaching maths through stories in EYFS and Key Stage 1.....

1 to 10 of 12
abdul 08 June 2015 23:13
Posts6
Joined06/11/12

Hi all,

I am in my lasy year at university (studying: BA (Hons) primary teaching with QTS) and have chosen to do my dissertation on 'teaching maths through stories in EYFS and Key stage 1'.

I would be grateful if you have any recommendations for literature to be accessed. Also if you van give your opinions about advantages or disadvantages if any.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Abdul

Link to this Post   Report this post Report this post

abdul 08 June 2015 23:17
Posts6
Joined06/11/12

Hello all,

This will be a 5000 word assignment to be handed in May 2016.

I thought it is best that I start early.

Regards,

Abdul

Ella542 09 June 2015 22:34
Posts1
Joined02/11/13

Hi

I attended some training for Year 1 with Mathematics Mastery today.  They use pictures from traditional tales to support and stimulate mathematical discussion.  They might have some useful research for your dissertation.

http://www.mathematicsmastery.org/our-vision/ 

Good luck

BarbaraSchindelhauer 10 June 2015 15:29
Posts11
Joined26/09/11

Hi Abdul,

You may want to have a look at a concept called 'Let's visit Numberland', aiming at children as of 4 years of age. It's an approach from Germany which has been in place for ten years now and there are several projects also running in the UK (I could set up some contacts with schools for you).

It is one big story on numbers with individual stories for each number (1 to 10): Together with the children, we visit an imaginary land where the numbers live... We explore how their houses and gardens look like and what items we can place there while talking to the numbers and discussing among each other, singing, playing active games, relating daily routines to it. It is an open concept but offers a structuring and emotional frame.  More info and the research done on it under www.numberland.net  or contact me at barbara@numberland.net

Best wishes,

Barbara 

abdul 11 June 2015 01:53
Posts6
Joined06/11/12

Thank you ever so much for taking out your precious time and giving me valuable advice.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Abdul

abdul 11 June 2015 01:58
Posts6
Joined06/11/12

Thank you Barbara for your valuable advice.

I would sincerely appreciate if you can kindly arrange some contacts within schools (of your knowledge) as you have kinly requested.

I aslo will be contacting you at the email address given to me.

Very much appreciated.

abdul 08 February 2016 12:40
Posts6
Joined06/11/12

Good afternoon, I'm Abdul.

I have started doing my dissertation which i had thought about from last year; Teaching maths through stories in Key Stage 1 and stories helps mathematheical understanding.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can direct me to any articles, books etc based around my dissertation theme.

Kind Regards,

Abdul

cherri 08 February 2016 13:42
Posts343
Joined05/04/07

Have you tried searching this website? There is certainly some stuff on here. Also

Go to Scholastic UK and search for articles ‘In the Frame’. These are older articles about maths from stories. http://education.scholastic.co.uk/search/search?log=t&search%5Bmag_id%5D=76680&search%5Bquery%5D=In+the+Frame

Video clips http://www.atm.org.uk/Interactive-Journal---MT218i/mt218i--looking-forward-maths-from-stories/70202

There is a Maths from Stories booklist somewhere on the site, but I cannot recall where!

Scroll back to previous posts in this thread too.

Best wishes for your dissertation.

BarbaraSchindelhauer 08 February 2016 14:45
Posts11
Joined26/09/11

Hi again Abdul, 

As suggested earlier on, you may contact me directly at barbara@numberland.net. I would be happy to help.

Regards, Barbara

Rebecca_Hanson 08 February 2016 18:08
Posts1102
Joined28/01/08

It is a great idea to teacher children to invent their own stories for number sentences.  This is the process of reification, emphasised by the Freudenthal school of education.

1 to 10 of 12