About cookies

The NCETM site uses cookies. Read more about our privacy policy

Please agree to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept them.

Personal Learning Login

Register with the NCETM

Recommend a Resource

Only logged in users can post to this forum.

Maths Intervention Suggestions Please!

Louisej92 23 October 2016 17:54
Posts5
Joined21/04/16

Hello, 

We are due an Ofsted this year and need to have some good Maths interventions on thebooks. We have tried Mission Maths and Catch up maths before with limited success, we have now set into ability groups (3 form school) and there are a large number of children from Year 3-6 who are not meeting the expected attainment level. I would ideally like ideas of programmes that encorporate active learning with fun and visual activties but also focuses on accelerated learning. 

Any suggestions you have please let me know!!

Thank you in advance 

Louise

Link to this Post   Report this post Report this post

ZoeRPM 25 October 2016 13:30
Posts12
Joined19/01/10

I have the syllabus for a square dance programme that teaches maths. It was developed by Prof. David Schmitz  for colleges but could be split into shorter lessons (the original version is delivered as ten 3-hour lessons). Perhaps you could manage some variation on this with the help of a local caller, whom you can contact via www.uksquaredancing.com. The dance syllabus is set by Callerlab and this maths course uses the moves from the Mainstream and Plus courses. These articles explain the idea:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-12-10/news/0712090194_1_square-dancing-square-roots-math-whizzes

http://www.maa.org/news/math-news/square-dancing-takes-a-mathematical-spin

If you have any problems finding a caller, contact Susie Kelly at New City Squares, who runs our callers' club. She is very keen on using square dancing to teach maths and wrote an article for British Mensa Magazine a few years ago on this subject.

If you can get your pupils up to Plus level they could then maybe set up their own club.

Link to this Post   Report this post Report this post