About cookies

The NCETM site uses cookies. Read more about our privacy policy

Please agree to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept them.

Personal Learning Login

Register with the NCETM

Recommend a Resource

Only logged in users can post to this forum.

Real life applications by GCSE topic

Bourbaki 06 November 2016 11:35
Posts2
Joined18/06/14

I was recently asked a "when would I ever use this" question (as it happens, the topic was finding the equation of the tangent to a circle) and I struggled to find anything when searching.

Does anyone know of a resource that lists GCSE topics (at the level of granularity in my example) with any associated applications? Ideally this would be a use that anyone might come across, or failing that, applications from specific employment fields.

I'm really looking only for a sentence that describes the use; any worked examples would be a bonus. I could then mention the use in the lesson, or at least have it to hand if asked.

I'm aware of the Maths in Work item (https://www.ncetm.org.uk/resources/11329), which is a great resource, but not quite what I'm after.

Link to this Post   Report this post Report this post

Colleen 06 November 2016 11:56
Posts213
Joined27/06/06

Have you seen the resources on the excellent Maths Careers website?

See the Maths in a Box resources for example.

Bourbaki 08 November 2016 20:20
Posts2
Joined18/06/14

Colleen,

thanks for that link - an excellent set of resources.

I'm still struggling to find something that covers the range of GCSE topics at the detailed level I'm after. I want to be able to look up, say, "finding the angle between a line and a plane" and find at least one concrete example of its use (of course, many of the concepts and techniques may just be required to support the rest of the mathematical infrastructure, and connections to the real world may be indirect in those cases). 

leesajohnson 30 June 2017 10:14 - Last edited by ncetm_administrator on 30 June 2017 10:39
Posts12
Joined16/02/16

This post has been removed by an NCETM administrator as it doesn't meet the terms and conditions of our communities.