About cookies

The NCETM site uses cookies. Read more about our privacy policy

Please agree to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept them.

Personal Learning Login

Register with the NCETM

Maths Café

Only logged in users can post to this forum.

Maths learning environment- Help please

sarahl12 18 November 2017 17:36 - Last edited by sarahl12 on 18 November 2017 17:37
Posts2
Joined04/09/12

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas for whole school maths based permanent displays in a primary school? For example, maths in the playground, displays on famous mathematicians. This is to promote mathematics in the school and raise the profile.

My other question is does anyone know any mathematics based board games?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

Thank you

Link to this Post   Report this post Report this post

robo0123 16 February 2018 19:59
Posts45
Joined16/12/11

Hello Sarah

I designed this board game for key stage 3.  If you like it I am happy to send you more sets of cards.

Comparing Numbers Cards

Game Board

Thanks

Jonathan

helenjw 18 February 2018 14:34
Posts54
Joined15/05/08

Not sure what you mean by mathematics-based board games? Most have a maths-base to varying degrees. Do you mean to promote strategy/reasoning in particular? or another maths 'area'?

The most successful permanent maths-based interactive 'display' I have found to be painting a blank 100square on the plyaground and making sure there are large dice and counters/pebbles/pinecones and large playground chalk in the playground equipment. http://creativestarlearning.co.uk and http://www.cosydirect.com (early years but easily extendable) have loads of ideas for outdoor equipment that include maths; some stuff children can make themselves. Extra large playing cards and large dominoes are brilliant resources. Anything involving scoring. I held a "popup maths club" whenever and whereever I could (eg one lunctime a fortnight- the poster went up during school dininers that day) and this was really popular. We played different games.