About cookies

The NCETM site uses cookies. Read more about our privacy policy

Please agree to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept them.

Personal Learning Login

Register with the NCETM

Secondary Forum

Only logged in users can post to this forum.

Textbooks in secondary

amanda_simpson 12 April 2019 08:57
Posts223
Joined01/02/10

I have been asked to recommend a good secondary textbook series. Problem is, my background is primary. I'd be glad to hear what you use in your school, at all secondary levels. If you'd like to add a comment or 2 about what you think of it, that's a bonus.

Link to this Post   Report this post Report this post

adamcreen 12 April 2019 09:09
Posts15
Joined23/04/07

In year seven and eight we use the CGP text book series. 5 pounds per pupil book, access to answer books online free, also front of class online versions of textbooks for a small extra charge. Year 7 use book 1 and book 2 depending on ability, year 8 use book 2 and book 3. We start using GCSE textbooks in year nine.

amanda_simpson 12 April 2019 09:27
Posts223
Joined01/02/10

Is the GCSE textbook CGP too?

adamcreen 12 April 2019 09:34
Posts15
Joined23/04/07

We use EdexceL as our exam board, and so all of our resources are published by Pearson. We have front of class versions of the main textbook, but give students a homework book which is thinner, costing around 8 pound each. They also have online homework access for Pearson, maths watch, and my maths. 

amanda_simpson 12 April 2019 09:47
Posts223
Joined01/02/10

Thanks Adam, that's really helpful. Now I just need others to let me know what they do please.

flycz 12 April 2019 11:57
Posts2
Joined30/09/12

These are good in my opinion.

https://elmwoodeducation.co.uk/ks3/ and there are GCSE books too.

Kind regards

Fiona

trocrusd 12 April 2019 16:02
Posts1
Joined20/07/15

I teach middle school in California.  I suspect that this alone may offer some complications to how my experience can be used in your situation.  We use a program by Carnegie Learning. It is a combination of software called Mathia and textbook.  The textbook is a consumable workbook style monster that offers a guided instructional approach at three different levels per standard or idea being learned. It offers a fair amout of conceptual level activities but is light on a problem base to reinforce and apply the conceptual understanding. The software is adaptive (some workspaces choose problems based on the mistakes the students make), mastery-based, and is designed to offer students independent exploration of the mathematical idea. It succeeds well after you broaden the students' expectations to not needing the hand holding of the teacher every new idea. Good luck.   

Name withheld 16 April 2019 08:47
This post has been reviewed during our moderation process and blocked because it breaches our terms and conditions