About cookies

The NCETM site uses cookies. Read more about our privacy policy

Please agree to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept them.

Personal Learning Login

Register with the NCETM

Bowland Maths Forum

Only logged in users can post to this forum.

Case Study: Alien invasion

ncetm_administrator 16 June 2008 14:20
Portal Administrator
Posts856
Joined13/06/06

Alien Invasion is a set of interactive lessons about a full-scale alien attack that coincides with a class visit to Manford City. To set the scene and support the lessons, live TV news bulletins, radio broadcasts and telephone messages help to develop the story line. The invasion leads to a series of non-routine problems for pupils to solve as the narrative unfolds. The problems are on the theme of mathematical communication and are intended to promote discussion, reasoning and creativity.

Alien Invasion is an opportunity for pupils to apply and use skills that they have previously been taught and to see connections between mathematical topics. Alternatively, it can be used to introduce or extend skills. Mathematical activities include estimating and calculating measures, interpreting graphs and maps, code breaking and problem solving.

Teachers are able to tailor the lessons to the particular needs of their classes.

Link to this Post   Alert us about this post

ajonion 19 June 2008 12:58
Posts78
Joined04/07/06
Alice Kilpatrick from TwoFour who developed this case study gave an input on it at the NCETM second annual conference on 17 June. It looks tremendous fun with a strong narrative drive, which I am sure will engage students, as indeed it did during the trial phase.

graycharles 01 July 2009 16:51
Posts164
Joined17/07/06
The notes on a different thread about scaling/photocopying were useful.

Laminated, reusable sheets also save on photocopying demands.

JaneWillett 19 June 2013 14:25
Posts3
Joined19/06/13

I agree, although I found my students wanted to draw all over it to get them thinking. I had to play the radio commentary twice because not everything was picked up on. The kids loved the narrative and watching the videos and it was good to explore many different mathematical topics. I recommend!