About cookies

The NCETM site uses cookies. Read more about our privacy policy

Please agree to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept them.

Personal Learning Login

Register with the NCETM

Secondary Forum

Only logged in users can post to this forum.

Games which are mathematical

richard 25 June 2008 07:45 - Last edited by richard on 25 June 2008 07:58
Posts448
Joined28/06/06

I've been looking around for some on-line games which allow me (and my students of course!) to behave mathematically without being obviously mathematical (ie they're not about doing sums or solving equations - more about the sudoku type of maths skills).

I guess I'm thinking of the process skills as given in the new curriculum and ways that I can put my students in situations where they are naturally using these skills - particularly if they're working in pairs on the same game and have to discuss what the next move should be.

The games I'm liking so far are

Chain Factor

A Japanese Tetris style game (with exceptionally irritating music. The aim is to survive for as long as possible. If you get three of the same symbols in a row on your pointy stick then they disappear)

Shot

A frog hopping game

The lightbulb puzzle

Bloxors

It's worth noting that some of these won't work in school because of the filtering

Any thoughts on the mathematics used or pointers to other such games would be very much appreciated.

Oh - and be careful, it's possible to lose hours of free time to these things!

Link to this Post   Report this post Report this post

Mike.Davies 17 July 2008 15:54
Posts17
Joined28/08/07

Mymaths.co.uk has loads

And the Bowland stuff is amazing!

Mike

dharshana 04 December 2008 17:13
Posts2
Joined04/12/08
www.supermathsworld.com

DomHudson 11 December 2008 12:21
Posts68
Joined30/11/07
Hi Richard

There are games at coolmath-games.com that are related, in some wat to mathematics but always focusing on processes. As usual some of them are better than others. My favourite (I mean my pupils favourite) is one called castle defence. It is a strategy game where a budget needs to be juggled to try and keep your castle alive. It really makes pupils think about the best way to spend their money and the most effective weapons to use. Hours of fun can be spent trying to complete up to level 10.

Hope that helps.

HeatherNorth 23 October 2011 13:04
Posts244
Joined07/09/06
Hi Richard - I love the links re the games you have suggested.  Very interesting games and the sort of games all pupils are going to enjoy playing.  Many thanks for your suggestions.  Heather

Colleen 23 October 2011 15:07
Posts213
Joined27/06/06
All the posts but the last are from 2008 - I think Supermathsworld was free in those days - though you can play some sample games for free and the sample seem to change from time to time.

Nrich has many excellent games - the complete collection is here.

My own favourite games and puzzles (many nrich) I have collected here.

Tim_Stirrup 25 October 2011 15:07
Posts354
Joined04/12/08
It's great when an old thread gets revitalised.

time has moved on and of course now we have the delights of such things as Angry Birds, and I am sure many many more apps. One of my favourite for the tube is called 3D logic, there's the Apple app, but also a free flash version online .

how about an old favourite though? Backgammon is very mathematical and centuries old. there are quite a few free online/mobile versions.

CHOYLES 27 October 2011 14:19
Posts78
Joined25/08/06
....and what do you think of Math Games from Mangahigh.com?

Colleen 27 October 2011 15:49
Posts213
Joined27/06/06
 I like Manga High - not just for the games but for the prodigi quizzes, those I have explored look very good. Certainly it's a site our students seem to enjoy. I'll let my Year 9 of last year speak for themselves!

Name withheld 16 April 2019 08:45
This post has been reviewed during our moderation process and blocked because it breaches our terms and conditions