About cookies

The NCETM site uses cookies. Read more about our privacy policy

Please agree to accept our cookies. If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you're happy to accept them.

Personal Learning Login

Register with the NCETM

Maths Café

Only logged in users can post to this forum.

John Mason on elastic scaling in multiplication tonight (Wed 22 Feb) at 7pm (Elluminate collaboration)

Rebecca_Hanson 22 February 2012 17:19
Posts1001
Joined28/01/08
Sorry for the short notice.  This is being advertised on the Math, Math Education, Math Culture group on linkedin.com.  I can't copy the notification across here - I don't know what that won't work. 

Tim if you can copy it across with the links (including to the recording after the event) please feel free.

Link to this Post   Alert us about this post

petegriffin 23 February 2012 12:59 - Last edited by petegriffin on 23 February 2012 13:00
Assistant Director (Maths Hubs)
Posts1319
Joined29/06/06

Join Math Future and John Mason Wednesday, February 22: Elastic multiplication

During the event, John Mason led a conversation about multiplication as scaling, as well as answered some questions about his work.

John writes about elastic multiplication: "It is often said that 'multiplication is repeated addition' when what is meant is that 'repeated addition is an instance of multiplication'. I have been developing some tasks which present 'scaling as multiplication' based around familiarity with elastic bands. Participants would benefit from having an elastic (rubber) band to hand which they have cut so as to make a strip; wider is better than thinner if you have a choice."

The recording can be found at: http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/JohnMason

All events in the Math Future weekly series are here: http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/events

Rebecca_Hanson 23 February 2012 14:43
Posts1001
Joined28/01/08
Thanks Pete :-)