Early Years CPD Modules
What do these modules offer you as an early years practitioner?
By studying these modules you will learn more about two important issues:
- what do young children need to know and understand in order to become competent and confident mathematicians?
- what do practitioners need to know, understand and be able to do in order to make this happen?
What will be involved in completing these modules?
As you work through these modules you will:
- read and reflect upon passages containing key theoretical ideas
- strengthen your own subject knowledge
- keep a reflective diary tracing the development of your thinking
- undertake action research in your own classroom
- carry out focussed assessments of individuals and groups of children in your own class
- identify ways in which you could put the ideas into practice in your own classroom
- implement your planned changes and evaluate their success by assessing the children’s response and the progress they make
- engage in on-line discussions with other practitioners studying this module through the Early Years Forum
- reflect on what you have learnt and the implications for your future practice.
We recommend that you begin with the Introduction to the Early Years Modules, then choose your own path through the other modules, finishing with the Final Reflections. There are currently two modules in the Early Years Self-Study Modules – Counting and Number. Further modules will be added later.
Using the modules
When using the modules, there may be times when you wish to record reflections, actions or tasks. The Learning Journal
within your Personal Learning Space
is an excellent place to do this, although you will need to be registered
and logged in to use this facility.
In these materials, you will come across a number of small icons, which are used to signal different types of CPD activity. A 'key' and information about their use can be found here
. You can also add notes or reminders to items using the
have a small boxed plus sign (+
) next to them: click on this and further content will be revealed.