The NCETM, in conjunction with the Further Mathematics Support Programme (FMSP), has developed an Advanced Mathematics Professional Development Lead Development and Accreditation Programme to support colleagues who design and lead advanced mathematics professional development opportunities for others. The NCETM/FMSP team is now offering the Advanced Mathematics Professional Development Lead Development and Accreditation Programme (Advanced Maths PDLSP) to anyone involved in providing advanced mathematics PD for teachers in schools or colleges who meet the entry requirements.
Working in partnership with the FMSP, and building on good practice identified both nationally and internationally, the programme provides the opportunity to:
- debate and explore priority areas in advanced mathematics learning and teaching;
- debate and explore what makes good mathematics-specific CPD;
- share good practice in mathematics CPD with fellow colleagues and become part of a professional community of mathematics PD leads (an online community will be set up to facilitate networking);
- plan, undertake and evaluate professional development work with a group of teachers as part of an interim task.
And will support those implementing the new advanced mathematics qualifications in schools and colleges from September 2017, incorporating any changes into the programme that might result from future developments.
The NCETM PD Lead Development and Accreditation Programme consists of four elements:
- An initial development day, beginning at 9:00 and ending at 5:30 on the same day;
- Planning, execution and evaluation of an interim task based on input offered in the first day;
- A second single day (with timings the same as the first);
- Completing a written plan, reflection and evaluation of the interim task;
- A commitment to plan and offer future PD opportunities drawing on the input, discussions and experiences gained during the programme and to offer regular (annual) feedback regarding reach and impact for at least a year following accreditation (a re-accreditation process is offered after one year).
N.B. There is no cost attached to attendance at the two days: meals are included, but please note that travel and supply cover costs, if appropriate, should be met by those attending.
Colleagues completing this programme and meeting all the accreditation criteria will be accredited by the NCETM as an NCETM Accredited PD Lead (Advanced Mathematics).
Accredited PD Leads will:
- receive a certificate indicating their status as an ‘NCETM Professional Development Accredited Lead’;
- be entered into a directory of Accredited PD Leads which will be held on the NCETM website;
- receive an ‘NCETM Professional Development Accredited Lead’ logo which can be used on any relevant documentation to signal your accreditation.