Secure Estate Videos
Teaching Maths in the Secure Sector
Active learning in the Secure Sector: Practitioners explore and discuss an active learning activity
In this clip a group of Secure Estate practitioners explore the use of an active learning activity and discuss how it may be adapted to match the needs of a variety of learners. As you are viewing the clip, think about the questions below.
- What motivating context could you use with your learners?
- What approaches do you use to support learners working at various mathematical and confidence ‘levels’ within your class?
- What strategies can be used to increase your learners’ confidence and problem solving skills?
Developing peer mentoring in the Secure Sector: Discussing the NIACE Maths Mentor model
In this clip a group of practitioners discuss peer mentoring and some of the benefits and challenges it offers to both mentees and mentors. As you are viewing the clip, think about the questions below.
- How do you use peer learning in your sessions?
- What do you see as the advantages and challenges of running a mentoring scheme?
- What do you think are the characteristics of a good mentor?