The Further Mathematics Network
The Further Mathematics Network aims to:
- work to increase the number of students studying AS/A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
- give every student who could benefit from studying Further Mathematics the opportunity to do so.
- provide training and support to teachers of AS/A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics
London is covered by five different Further Mathematics Centres; Central/North, East, South East, South West and West. All five centres have been up and running for just over a year. The response to the network has been very good in London with many students taking up Further Mathematics at AS and A2 level who otherwise would not have been able to study at this level. The centres would like as many schools to register with them as possible so that they can provide free access to the MEI online resources for AS and A2 mathematics modules and offer places at revision and enrichment days for all students. Registration is free and simple to complete, see below for details.
As well as providing Further Mathematics tuition the centres work in a wide variety of ways with schools:
- Supporting schools in their use of the online resources.
- Helping schools to set up Further Mathematics courses for the first time.
- Working with schools which already provide FM to maintain and boost their uptake to ensure that the courses remain viable.
- Providing enrichment days.
- Providing revision days for a wide variety of mathematics modules.
- Working with schools to boost uptake of mathematics at post 16.
- Providing good school and college links with the HE institutions involved with the network.
Chris Brown manager for West at FP1 revision day at Kingston University
Students at revision day coming to terms with Matrices
The winning team at a 14-16 mathematics quiz – part of a 14-16 FMC enrichment programme in Waltham Forest
Year 10 girls working on algebra – part of a 14-16 FMC enrichment day in Waltham Forest
The centre managers would like to hear from schools about how best they can work with them in each area. To find out more about the work of the network or better still to register with the network contact your local FM Centre manager (details below) or log on to the Further Mathematics Network web site: www.fmnetwork.org.uk .
London Further Mathematics Centre Managers:
Central/North: Brian Housden email@example.com
East: Pat Morton firstname.lastname@example.org
South East: Pauline Bailey email@example.com
South West: Jenny Davey firstname.lastname@example.org
West: Chris Brown email@example.com