The National Professional TDA and LLUK Standards
Updated - August 2007
The Lifelong Learning United Kingdom Standards have been revised and approved by the Secretary of State.
The Training and Development Agency for Schools have published an approved set of Professional Standards. The intention is that the Professional Standards for teachers in England will be used from September 2007.
Background information on the Professional Standards is available at:
Exemplification of the TDA Professional Standards
The NCETM has ‘exemplified’ the professional standards. This exemplification is designed to support the career progression of teachers of mathematics, by providing non-statutory guidance. The examples given illustrate what the standard might look like typically for teachers of mathematics.
TDA Professional Standards with NCETM exemplification for teachers of mathematics
The NCETM Exemplification of the TDA Professional Standards may be used by teachers and their managers to facilitate:
• Personal reflection
• Focused professional dialogue with other staff
• Identification of development needs
• Recognition and acknowledgement of achievement
• Evaluation of professional attributes, knowledge and skills alongside the transition points for career pathways
• Teachers summarizing and evidencing their learning
Using the exemplification of the TDA Professional Standards Linked to the NCETM Portal
The NCETM Portal can support your learning journey linked to the National Professional Standards
• Use self-evaluation tools to evaluate your professional development needs
• Find out about courses and events in your region and/or nationally to support your learning journey
• Access information about the latest and most useful resources, research and reviews
• Browse, contribute to and comment on the Mathemapedia – the mathematics education wiki
• Join forums and communities to share your thoughts with colleagues, ask questions and contribute to discussions
Click the link below to visit the LLUK's site containing the teachers' standards.
The Lifelong Learning United Kingdom Standards
The NCETM has also exemplified the LLUK standards. Click the link below to view these in Word format.
NCETM Exemplification of the Lifelong Learning United Kingdom Standards
This exemplification also contains notes where the LLUK standards tie in with the TDA standards above. This is indicated by the code in brackets at the end of a paragraph.
This exemplification is intended to support all those teaching mathematics in the post-compulsory sector, including those teaching Skills for Life numeracy qualifications.
This document has been written to support the development of new initial teaching qualifications for teachers of Mathematics (Numeracy) in the lifelong learning sector in England. It replaces the Further Education National Training Organisation (FENTO) Subject Specifications for Adult Numeracy at level 4. It details the knowledge, understanding and professional practice to be demonstrated by teachers in relation to Mathematics (Numeracy). Awarding institutions will use it to develop qualifications for these teachers.
Further detailed guidance on teacher qualifications in the Further Education Sector can be found here.