“The National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM) was set up in 2006. We support schools, colleges, teachers and anyone seeking maths-specific professional development.”
Put simply, we are here to support anyone who teaches maths, and who wants to be even better at it!
The NCETM is funded by the Department for Education (DfE) and led and delivered by Tribal, with MEI as a key partner
We coordinate the work of the Maths Hubs. You can find out more about them on the Maths Hubs section of this website, and get involved with their projects and CPD opportunities. The Teaching for Mastery Programme also forms a significant part of our work.
What are our aims?
We want all teachers of maths – including primary school teachers, Early Years practitioners and non-specialist maths teachers – to have access to high-quality continuing professional development (CPD). We both provide this CPD ourselves, and give teachers other opportunities to access CPD.
We aim to:
- ensure everyone who teaches maths does so with confidence in their practice
- raise standards of maths attainment, by supporting maths-specific CPD for those teaching the subject
- support Maths Hubs, teaching schools and others working to improve standards of maths in schools.
We do this by:
- focusing on ways to develop excellent maths teaching for children and young people in all stages of their education
- placing teachers at the centre of what we do and responding to their needs
- creating and sharing professional development opportunities and materials
- giving teachers the chance to network and share great ideas for teaching maths.