Make connections between fractions and previous work on decimals. Learn common fraction and decimal equivalences. Understand that percentages tell us about the proportion being considered. Find percentages of quantities.
- Teaching point 1: Some fractions are easily converted to decimals.
- Teaching point 2: These fraction–decimal equivalents can be found throughout the number system.
- Teaching point 3: Fraction–decimal equivalence can sometimes be used to simplify calculations.
- Teaching point 4: ‘Percent’ means number of parts per hundred. A percentage can be an operator on a quantity, indicating the proportion of a quantity being considered.
- Teaching point 5: Percentages have fraction and decimal equivalents.
- Teaching point 6: If the value of a whole is known, a percentage of that number or amount can be calculated.