- Published: 10/01/2019
How does maths teaching in a secondary school in Shanghai look and feel to experienced observing teachers from secondary schools in England? Two Mastery Specialist teachers from North West England, who were among a group of teachers from Maths Hubs who visited Shanghai during school year 2018/19, give their impressions.
Taking part in the discussion are:
- Jayne Watts, teacher at Alsager School and Secondary Teaching for Mastery Lead for North Mids and Peaks Maths Hub
- Dave Connell, 2nd in Maths at Loreto Grammar School, Altrincham, and Secondary Teaching for Mastery Lead for North West Two Maths Hub
- Gwen Tresidder, NCETM Communications Manager
- 03:46 – Most striking things in the classroom
- 06:59 – Most striking things about the children
- 09:24 – Applying mastery in the English cultural context
- 11:05 – How Chinese students get ahead of their English peers
- 12:41 – Culture of collaborative working
- 16:01 – Lessons from teaching Chinese students
- 18:01 – Changing practice as a result of visit
- 22:20 – What about pupils that say ‘I can already do that’?